NEWS: Wed, Nov. 13: Join us for a presentation by local herbalist, farmer and educator Maya Blow at St John’s Armenian Church. Announcements/Q&A at 7pm, Program at 7:30pm (Click for details)
The San Francisco Beekeepers Association is the premier organization for beekeepers in our city.
Our mission is to:
- promote the welfare of honeybees and those who manage them
- perform public outreach on behalf of bees to schools and civic groups
- conduct classes to train incoming beekeepers on the art and science of managing bees
- define and promote safe, community-friendly and environmentally sound beekeeping practices
- maintain equipment such as extractors that are vital to beekeeping
- help San Francisco beekeepers replenish lost stock with annual “bee pack” purchases, and
- offer swarm removal services to the public at no or low cost.
Membership costs just $30 per year ($40 for a family membership) and you can join the club now online.
Come to our next meeting …
The SF Beekeepers meet on the second Wednesday of every month at 7 pm at St. John Armenian Apostolic Church, 275 Olympia Way.
Meetings start with a general Q&A followed by an expert speaker. All meetings are free and open to the public, and visitors, experienced beekeepers and would-be beekeepers are all invited.
Your membership costs just $30/year (or $40 for the whole family) and includes:
- Discounts on beekeeping classes and events
- Access to club equipment including extractors, hive carriers, candle molds, frame jigs, observation hive, plus an extensive library of beekeeping books and media
- Access to our annual bulk purchase of “bee packs” (fertilized queen and approx. 5,000 bees) from reputable breeders
- Discounted subscriptions to Bee Culture or American Bee Journal magazines
- Plus, mentoring, advice and support from the friendliest and most knowledgeable beekeepers in the city
Want to become a beekeeper?
We run classes every February and March to train incoming beekeepers. Classes are open to the public and at a discounted rate to members; you can either get on our mailing list or join the club now to be sure of being notified when & how to sign up.
Need help with a swarm?
A “swarm” is a large mass of honeybees clinging to an object such as a tree branch or bush, side of house, or even just on the ground. Don’t panic if you see one; bees in a swarm are usually quite gentle. Instead, just call the SFBA Swarm Dispatcher at (415) 99-SWARM or (415) 997-9276 or click this link for more information.